Tuesday, October 9, 2007

An Era Is Over In New York, And I'm Supposed To Feel Sorry About It?

In all likelihood an era died last night in New York. Torre is probably out, Clemens is probably done, A-Rod may opt out of his contract in search of bigger bucks, Pettitte may be gone, and so may Rivera and Posada. The Yankees are imploding, and somehow, I'm supposed to feel sorry about it.

Worst of all, a little piece of me does.

It doesn't make any sense. The Yankees are evil, this I know. They throw millions and millions of dollars around, luring in talented free agents. They've won 26 World Series, with 4 of those coming from the Torre dynasty. They have an army of out-of-town "fans" that don't know a slider from a curve ball.

I'm probably just feeling nostalgic about the drama they create. Love them or hate them, the Yankees make sports interesting. Something I suppose is a lot easier to admit when they haven't preformed in the playoffs for the past 6 years.

But even if Torre's shown the door and the all-star line up is torn apart this offseason, George Steinbrenner is still George Steinbrenner. I'm sure it won't take long. They'll hire, or most likely promote, a manager. They'll sign a new class of superstars. They'll create more outrageous storylines.

And then I can go back to despising them with every fiber of my being.

No comments: