Saturday, January 5, 2008

Did Derian Hatcher Bite Travis Zajac?

I can't even believe that I'm going to write this next sentence. But according to New Jersey Devils Travis Zajac, Derian Hatcher of the Philadelphia Flyers bit Zajac's finger during a scrum in front of the net last night.

In the AP game recap Zajac gave his interpretation of the incident.
"I guess I got close to him and he bit me," said Zajac, who wore a splint on the middle finger of his left hand. "I felt pain, I saw blood and then got stitched up and went back out."
But, not surprisingly, Derian Hatcher has a different take on exactly what went down.

"If he's cut, good. But I didn't bite him," Hatcher said. "I didn't think anything of it until someone mentioned it to me. He went like that (face wash) right across my face.

"He got his glove on my tooth, almost pulled it out. It's all sore."

I can't say I really expect anything to actually come out of this situation. This sounds more like the job of a preschool teacher than that of the leagues disciplinary office.

But the greatest part about the whole thing, the pleasure that Hatcher takes out of the fact that Zajac got his finger cut. I've had a sore tooth before, and I know those things can be a monster.

[AP: Martin Broduer posts 96 career shutout as Devils beat Flyers 3-0]

No comments: